Case Studies & Insights from 10 Past Successful First of a Kind (FOAK) Projects
Summary level (4 to 5 page) case studies were developed for the 10 completed and successful large FOAK projects identified below. These construction projects include commercial nuclear power plants, nuclear facility decontamination and decommissioning (D&D), municipal infrastructure, and a government science facility. Project execution periods spanned over 40 years from the 1970’s to the present.
- River Bend Nuclear Power Station Unit 1
- Lucie Nuclear Power Station Unit 2
- Palo Verde Nuclear Power Station Units 1, 2, and 3
- Watts Bar Nuclear Power Station Unit 2
- Rocky Flats Decontamination & Decommissioning (D&D) Project
- Selected Steam Generator Replacement & Refurbishment Projects
- Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) Accelerator Project
- 2012 London Olympics Site and Facilities Infrastructure
- Columbia Generating Station (WPPSS 2)
- Barakah Nuclear Power Station Units 1 to 4
These large FOAK projects all dealt with similar challenges involving enormous scope, new technologies, complicated interfaces, changing regulatory requirements, and numerous project stakeholder organizations. The top two common factors that led to success that facilitated overall positive performance in all areas involved:
- A utility/owner-led integrated project team approach that embraced a “Sink or Swim Together” culture and
- Passionate leadership and extreme accountability by management of all stakeholder organizations where open communications and avoiding surprises was essential.